Did you know that you can use extra virgin olive oil, not only in your pasta and vegetable dishes, and your salad and meat recipes but also in your baking recipes?
Extra virgin olive oil is awesome. It is pretty. It is delicious. And, it is heart-healthy, too!
Many people today have begun to make the switch and substitute extra virgin olive oil in baking and cooking rather than butter and other cooking oils… including myself! I have personally replaced many of my old standard recipes where I used butter and other cooking oils to baking bread and cakes, with extra virgin olive oil.
I have found that substituting extra virgin olive oil in my old tried and true recipes work just perfect—lending a more beautiful texture and added flavor. Extra virgin olive oil seems to make many of my bread and dessert recipes absolutely delicious and moist while adding a much needed healthy touch to them… like my daughter, Kate’s very popular gluten and dairy free, Amazing Apple Cake:
Kate’s Amazing Apple Cake
(Gluten and Dairy Free)
1 1/4 c. all-purpose, gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand)
3/4 c. almond flour/meal (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 c. extra virgin olive oil
3 large or 4 medium eggs
4 large, tart apples (4-5 cups) peeled, cored, chopped
Nuts and raisins can be added, and are optional
- Peel, core, and chop the apples and set aside.
- Mix together the GF flour, almond flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar, olive oil, and eggs together; once mixed you can combine your dry ingredients together with these, mixing thoroughly until smooth.
- Fold in apples.
- Pour into a 9×13 inch pan, greased with olive oil and sprinkled with a light layer of almond flour on the bottom (this almond flour is as much or little as desired, and is in addition to the other that you use in the cake batter).
- Bake at 350F degrees for about 50 minutes and ENJOY warm from the oven!
If you are adventurous and want to take a leap of faith in the kitchen… don’t be afraid to take one of your tried and true recipes and see if extra virgin olive oil can make a delicious and healthy difference… You’ll be glad that you did!
You might want to try My Olive Tree’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil—direct from Israel… It is a flavorful addition to any recipe, and at the same time helps support the economic growth in that beautiful nation!