At My Olive Tree we love DIY projects that have to do with olive trees, olive oil, olive wood… basically anything olive and we ‘OLIVE’ it!!
So this is why we thought that we would sit down and think about all the fun DIY olive hacks that we could to share with you and anyone else you may know who also loves this ancient tree and all of its fantastic beauty.
Recently, while we were considering planning a party with olive branches as the inspiration, we came across a wedding pinterest board where the entire decor was centered around the olive branch. Quite honestly, it was so simple and elegant that we wished that we had considered it for our own weddings. The bride wore a beautiful wreath of olive branches on her head and held a bouquet of freshly trimmed olive branches. Her bridesmaids, too, held small bouquets of the same, while the groom and his best men donned olive branch corsages. Even the tables were lined with branches. Sometimes the use of only one item to decorate gives an entire event an elevated, unified feeling. Just beautiful! This idea could be used at almost any function, dazzling and delighting your guests with its simple sophistication!
Today, homemade beauty products are all the rage, due mainly to avoid harsh chemicals that are often found in store-brought brands. Here are a couple of our favorite ideas…
- Hair Treatment/Conditioner: Warm Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a double boiler, or in the microwave. Once it is warmed to your own preferred temperature—being extra careful not to get it too hot—gently spread the oil on the ends of your hair and scalp with your fingertips. Allow it to sit for 20 to 30 minutes, and then shampoo and rinse.
- Lip Scrub: Combine sugar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil to help remove dry skin on your lips or other chapped areas on your body.
- Moisturizer: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is a fantastic treatment for dry skin in general. Treat yourself to a nice bath, allowing the pores in your skin to open up. Then use a small amount of olive oil over your entire body. Gently remove the access oil with your favorite body wash. Olive Oil also works as a great shaving cream when you’re in a pinch!
- Make-up Brush Cleaner: Just two parts antibacterial soap and one part Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and you’ll have a bottle of make-up brush cleaner at the ready!
Avoid the harsh chemicals of past eras in exchange for a much more child-friendly household cleaner. From polishing furniture to getting out tough stains, olive oil is one of our go-to tricks to keeping our homes shiny and clean…
- Furniture Polish: Just 2 cups of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to 1 cup of lemon juice mixed together and rubbed into wood furniture with a soft cloth will bring back to life dull or tarnishing pieces. Here is an extra tip to keep wicker furniture in top condition… Rub a little bit of warm Extra Virgin Olive Oil on its surface occasionally and buff off excess to keep wicker in great condition.
- Season Cast Iron Pans: Mix together Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a teaspoon of coarse ground sea salt. Scrub the pans with the olive oil mixture and a stiff brush, rinse with hot water. Allow the pan to thoroughly dry and then coat with a small amount of plain olive oil for seasoning.
- Leather Furniture Repair: Using a cotton cloth, place a very small amount of Extra Virgin Olive Oil onto the scratched and dried leather. Rub in a circular motion, and watch scratches disappear and the leather come to life!
These are just a few of our very favorite DIY olive ideas. We’d love to hear how you use olive inspired products around your homes, or in event planning. Better yet, share your recipes with us, or photos of your recent olive inspired creations!