At My Olive Tree we love to learn about olives —go figure, right? Call it a passion, an obsession… call it what you will, olives and the products made from them are one of our favorite topics! We believe that there are others of you out there who have a similar love for all things olive, and so because of this, today we are sharing zany and wonderful facts about these fabulous fruits…
Did you know?
- Olives are a fruit not a vegetable.
- Olive oil was used in Ancient Rome both as a moisturizer, and a protection against sun damage.
- Women in Ancient Greece combined olive oil with charcoal to create eye shadow and liner.
- At one time olive oil was not available in the United States. It was until immigrants began to ship the product from their homelands overseas, that it became available in the US.
- The olive tree has inspired artists, poets, and songwriters for thousands of years. Vincent Van Gogh’s painting, Olive Grove, is a perfect example of this.
- Olives come in a number of sizes ranging from sub-petit to super colossal.
- You cannot eat an olive straight from the tree. It is very bitter and must go through a fermentation process first in order to be edible.
- Olive trees can have an incredible lifespan lasting anywhere from 300 to thousands of years based on the conditions in which they are cared for.
- Sixteen olives make up one of the five fruit portions required on the daily food pyramid.
- There are three towns in the United States alone named Olive Branch.
- The olive branch has stood as a symbol of peace throughout history.
- Turkey consumes the largest amount of olives in the world.
- Olives are considered by many to be one of the healthiest foods available due to their high nutritional content and low fat qualities.
- Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and is believed to have cancer-fighting properties.
- Olive oil itself is naturally cholesterol, sodium, and carbohydrate-free.
- There are 500 million olive trees in Europe, and 50 million in California
- All olives start out green and change colors throughout maturation
These are just a few of MANY fabulous facts about the olive tree… not to mention that the tree itself is incredibly sturdy. This amazing hardwood has a grain pattern that is unique only to the olive tree, making it a favorite of woodworkers, as its appearance actually gets better with age.
My Olive Tree is pleased to offer several phenomenal olive products, including our extra virgin olive oil. Our oil from Southern Israel is slightly darker, and has a more robust and distinct flavor when compared with our Northern version. While the Northern version truly shines in salad dressings, we feel that our Southern version is at its best when used in cooking (sautéing/frying). Both are available for purchase on our website [HERE].
Our mission is to create a partnership between the Evangelical community and the nation of Israel; this partnership will produce employment, income, and revenue for humanitarian aid projects in Israel. We envision the planting of one-million olive trees over the next seven years. This relationship was prophesied in the Bible centuries ago, that the foreigners and strangers (those not of Jewish descent) would help rebuild the walls of Israel and cause the desert to bloom (Isa 35:1). Among other things, this reforestation is an environmental blessing for the entire region. May all who participate in this project be blessed body, soul and spirit; it is time for you to take root in Israel!