Most people are familiar with a lot of the biggest health benefits of olive oil. It is rich in antioxidants, it is a great healthy option to help you lose weight and balance your diet, etc. However, there are several surprising facts that you may not have known about that indicate that olive oil's health benefits are even farther reaching than the average person knows.
Here are some of the most surprising health facts about olive oil:
- It reduces your body's levels of bad cholesterol. Olive oil contains a number of poly-phenols, which help to keep LDL cholesterol in normal range. Therefore, if you often have struggles with high cholesterol, a diet rich in
olive oil can help you to keep it under control.
- It can help prevent memory loss. A diet rich in olive oil can help prevent symptoms like memory loss. Researchers who have studied this believe that it could be related to the role that fatty acids play in maintaining your brain's structural integrity, specifically the portions of the brain that we associate with memory. Olive oil, particularly extra virgin olive oil, is rich in the unsaturated fatty acids that help to strengthen those portions of the brain.
- It protects your body's red blood cells. Some of the poly-phenols found in olive oil have been proven to be great at protecting red blood cells from oxidation. This slows the aging process of those cells, keeping them healthy and intact for longer periods of time.
- It helps to keep your food fresh. Thanks to the big portions of Vitamin E found in olive oil, it is ideal for cooking and even works to make your food stay fresh for longer.
- It is a wonderful, natural way to keep your skin healthy. Olive oil is an excellent natural skin care product because it is very similar in chemical structure to the natural oils found in your skin. Many companies that make natural moisturizers use olive oil as a base ingredient.
There are studies being done constantly about the varying health effects of olive oil, and we continue to learn more about just how great it is for the human body. Treat your body well and support a wonderful mission in the Middle East by getting your olive oil from My Olive Tree.